04 June 2013

one year of marriage

DJ and I just celebrated our one year anniversary :)

I cannot believe that we have been married for a year!  Although the time has flown by it feels like we have been together our whole lives.  One year down, eternity to go!  WootWoot!



To celebrate our wonderful union we did a weekend in the outdoors.  DJ had to work on the actual date of our anniversary so we planned to go camping and mountain biking the weekend before.  We had everything packed up and ready to go when Steve and Annie (DJ's brother and awesome wife) emailed and invited us to spend the weekend with them at their cabin.  We couldn't refuse and said yes!

Their cabin sits on a beautiful piece of land included with a freezing cold lake :)  Our first day there was spent mountain biking around the property, paddle boating across the lake, and kayaking against the wind which resulted in us getting splashed by the waves and us laughing hysterically.  Steve then took us fishing and we each caught and released something.  This past year was the first time I'd been fishing.  We went ice fishing during the winter and then regular fishing this past weekend.  It is so fun!

The rest of the time at the cabin was spent staying up till late morning hours telling stories and laughing with the family.  Steve told us his story of shooting a lion in South Africa, we shared first date stories, awkward dating memories, and DJ and I pulled out the top of our wedding cake (that has been sitting in a freezer for a year!) and shared it with the whole fam damily :)  It surprisingly tasted delicious and the whole thing got eaten in a day.

(here is a picture of what it looked like on the blessed day that we wed; three generation themed wedding cake complete with my parents wedding cake topper from the 80s and my grandparents topper from the 60s, so fun!)



We had such a great time!  I love spending time with my stone cold fox of a husband.  I am so lucky to always have such a loving supportive best friend at my side.  He always looks on the bright side of life and keeps me laughing and going during the difficult moments when I feel down in the dumps.

Love you hubby!


Here is a picture of DJ and our adorable nephew Dean while we were fishing.  I'm horrible at taking pictures of our adventures and that is something I promise to be better at.

I also have decided that I need to get more "teacher clothes" so I entered for a giveaway here.

1 comment:

Julia M. said...

Sounds like a relaxing and fun anniversary! I think kayaking is one of the best things ever--especially in a warm ocean. :) You'll have to try that some day.